Knights Banner

Knights Banner

Raising the E-Bar

Eva, Staff Writer

“We do everything friends do, we drink way too much iced coffee….” This line from the movie Love Simon is relatable for many high schoolers and college students alike. Fueling study sessions and long school days, iced coffee serves as the fuel for young teenagers who ache for a just a couple more hours in the day. Starbucks often serves as the provider of this sacred bean juice. However, one establishment that coffee lovers should consider instead is the lesser known Nordstrom E-Bar.

Don’t let the Nordstrom branding intimidate you. While it is a pricier department store, E-Bar, which is attached to most, if not all, Nordstroms is a (believe it or not) cheaper alternative to Starbucks.

E-Bar offers three sizes named similarly to Starbucks’s notorious’s names, with the only difference being that the venti is instead called an “enorme.” In comparing the price, take an iced caramel macchiato. A grande iced caramel macchiato at Starbucks costs approximately $5.70, while the same drink and size at E-Bar is more than a dollar less at $4.60. This price difference is similar across the entire menu.

The menu at E-Bar has a smaller selection. This can be seen in two different ways. For those who enjoy variety, this is a con. For those who prefer quality over quantity, however, this is a pro. By offering less, E-Bar is able to better control the quality of the drinks they offer– and it shows. The coffee at E-Bar tastes like actual coffee, as opposed to the often diluted version offered at other chains. You can see baristas behind the counter making your drink using fresh ingredients and freshly brewing coffee.

This also presents another pro/con. Being that the drinks are freshly made, the service can be slightly slow. However, considering the fact that Starbucks is almost always filled with customers, there is not much of a time difference at all. E-Bar is something of a hidden gem, so many are not aware of its existence at all.

If you are in a bit of a money crunch, but absolutely need your extra caffeine boost for some shopping, Nordstrom’s E-Bar is the way to go. Personally, I recommend any of the blended drinks or the iced caramel macchiato.

The closest E-Bar is the location at the Nordstrom in Santa Anita Mall.