MIT bound

George Chen, 12, has impressed himself with his admittance into MIT and its 7.9% acceptance rate.

Lilly Forsyth, Editor-in-chief

George Chen, 12, has been accepted to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where he plans to take full advantage of the extensive research and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) program emphasis.

“At MIT I will have a lot of valuable experiences not only in math and sciences, but also because I have the opportunity to meet new people in a student body that is a lot more diverse,” said Chen.

While his family has only been in America for five years but quickly tasked themselves with learning English and overcoming the culture barrier, Chen managed to maneuver his way through the confusing world of college applications.

“My family didn’t know much about the college process,” explained Chen, “but they heard about how I should do well in school and get involved in activities and make sure I get good grades.”

Most students would not have considered applying to a famously difficult school to get into, but Chen did not shy away from the prestige that radiates from the East coast university.

“When I applied for the QuestBridge scholarship program, I looked over a lot of their other schools. MIT really stood out to me because they are really STEM heavy, and they are really technology related,” he said, “It wasn’t even my intention to be accepted, but I was like Y.O.L.O [you only live once]!”

With only a 7.9% acceptance rate, Chen could appreciate the school’s selectivity.

“They select a really diverse population of students every year from all over the world. It’s the top minds of the world collaborating together there and producing all this technology. They are working at the forefront of global technology, and it is really just amazing how they can get a lot of breakthroughs in some of the most unimaginable things that humans can accomplish,” he explained.

His infatuation with the sciences began at an early age during an annual science competition held in the city in China where he used to live. One year, his elementary teacher entered him into the contest, and Chen won the championship of the entire city.

Upon coming to the States, Chen showcased his passion for math and science throughout his high school career as he enrolled in nearly every AP science class offered at Arroyo.

“[The classes] weren’t a task or torture to me because it was out of my interest. I think that as I look more into the science field, my interest will keep going up,” he said.

Throughout his journey to success, Chen has had countless people support him, all of which he is thankful for.

“I would like to thank my friends for supporting me and giving me advice. I would thank all my teachers for supporting me throughout the years and giving me the advice I need to succeed whether in school or life or college applications,” he said, “I would like to thank my parents as well for providing this sweet home for me to grow up in and without their care and support for me I wouldn’t be at the place I am today.”