Helping Hands

Yesenia Diaz, Staff Writer

In Texas, many have suffered from Harvey and are looking for any help they can get. Ms. Sandra Jung, English Teacher, is now collecting money to help the victims of the Hurricane Harvey with their recovery from students who want to help the victims affected by this disaster. All of the money Ms. Jung collects will be going to the Red Cross Organization.

Ms. Jung was inspired to this when she found out celebrities, such as Kevin Hart, were challenging each other to donate. She also wanted to give students a chance to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey and is willing to continue donating for as long as the students of Arroyo want to. Ms. Jung is even selling old DVDs to students for $1 and donating her earnings.

“I’m all inspired and thinking okay I don’t have $25,000 but I can put in my  contribution. I can do my little part,”said Ms. Jung.

Hurricane Harvey was classified as a Category 4 hurricane, which was recorded to have winds up to about 132 mph. His roots can be traced back to a tropical wave in the African coast in early August.

He was classified a Category 4 hurricane when he made landfall in south-central Texas in late August. By August 27, his winds slowed down to about 40 mph and poured about a year’s worth of rain in less than a week on Houston and most of southeastern Texas. On August 29, two flood-control reservoirs were breached and the majority of Houston had an increase in water levels.

According to Weather.com, Hurricane Harvey has broken all continental U.S. tropical cyclone rain records. Harvey has also caused numerous small and brief tornadoes in Southeast Texas,  Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and North Carolina. Harvey is one of the most prolific tornado producers for a tropical storm.

Eva Ruth Moravec, a reporter of the Washington Post, states that people’s livestock were also affected by the Hurricane. Thousands of animals that were found in the debris have been taken to independent shelters, including 45 potbellied pig, 985 horses, 563 cattle and 1,210 dogs and cats.

Mike Morath, Commissioner of the Texas Education Agency,  states schools were also badly damaged because of Harvey. About 52 out of the 942 schools that were hit by the hurricane were catastrophically damaged and will not be able to reopen soon.

Texas officials have confirmed that about 82 people died because of the storm. Officials are still trying to determine how many other casualties there were.

The victims have lost a myriad of their belongings and are trying to get back on their feet. The students of Arroyo can help by going to Room 33 and donating or buying old DVDs from Ms. Jung, whose earnings will go to The Red Cross Organization.