A New Way to Stay Hydrated

Eva, Staff Writer

Students may have noticed the new water stations while walking to class or waiting in line for lunch. The new fountains not only feature the drinking fountain or bubbler spout most are familiar with, but a filling station with filtered water.

The water stations are the result of a two year-long initiative proposed by the school district in attempt to provide clean, filtered water to students as well as ensure that they stay hydrated.

As of now, Arroyo has had two water stations installed. Other schools throughout the district have had various numbers of water stations installed as well.

“This is just the beginning with the installation of 2 stations. We’re hoping the students are going to enjoy having the difference of clean, filtered water versus the water they normally had, and that they can see the difference in quality,” says Dr. Laura Quintana, assistant principal of student activities.

One water station is located in the hallway of the business classes. That particular station requires students to hold a button to refill water, while the other, located in the lunch line near the soccer field is powered by a sensor. The district plans to increase the number of water stations throughout the school depending on student response.

During Red Ribbon Week, an annual event that takes place from October 23rd to the 31st, administration decided to distribute refillable Arroyo water bottles as an eco-friendly option and promote the water stations.

“For the most part, I think students may not be fully aware that we have stations on campus….” says Dr. Quintana. “We do see athletes who are filling up their bottles before practices, during practices, or after practices. And we do see quite a few students who are using them, but maybe they are not highly visible so people don’t know necessarily where they’re located.”

Students have used the water stations, however, have largely responded positively.

“I’m glad our school has eco-friendly options now,” comments Brianna Molina, 12.

“I’m excited that our school has a free way of getting water without buying bottles and causing harm to the Earth,” says Yesenia Diaz, 10.