Day of Silence

Yesenia Diaz, Staff Writer

Day of Silence is a day to spread awareness about the effects of bullying and the harassment LGBTQ+ students go through. On April 27th, students take a day-long vow of silence to symbolize the repressed voices of those who are bullied because of who they are.

Day of Silence was started by students of the University of Virginia who made this in response to a class assignment about non-violent protest, where a person pledges to be silent a whole school day to symbolize the many voices of those who are suppressed by the bullying or verbal harassment they undergo.

This day’s purpose is to spread awareness of the bullying many members of the LGBTQ+ community go through on a daily basis because of who they are. According to  Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, 9 out 10 LGBTQ+ students have reported verbal and physical harassment at school and more then 30% report missing in at least one day of the past month due to being worried about their personal safety because of the harassment they got through. The top three reasons for the bullying these students are going through was their perceived or actual sexuality and gender expression.

Arroyo’s GSA club members participated in the day and spread awareness of the purpose and reasons why they pledged their silence. During lunch, members of the club broke the silence by talking in Rally Square to students who did not know the reasoning behind the day.

“We decided to become silent together because now people are noticing ‘hey why aren’t these kids talking’ the point of talking now is to break the silence,” said Jason Reyes, 12.

“The reason why I’m participating in Day of Silence as someone who isn’t LGBT+ and who is straight to show that it doesn’t matter what you identify as, we can all come together and fight against bullying, prejudice and ignorance overall so that everyone can feel safe and feel comfortable with who they are,” said Ernesto Montes, 11.

After lunch, members of GSA rallied at lunch they once again return to silence until the last bell rings. Many who listen to the speeches given by some of the members of GSA and others who found out about it through the chalked pictures and posters that were posted and made to strike curiosity to those who may have read them. While others decided to join in spreading awareness.

Once the final bell rang, all members that participated could finally break the silence they had kept throughout the day and ahd a wave of relief and pride go over them knowing that they helped bring awareness to those who might be going through this whether it be here in our school or across the world.

To know more about the day or the organization that supports and helps spread the word about this day visit https://www.glsen.org/ to learn more about the day and other ways that can help spread the word or bring awareness to this issue and many others that happen to the members of the LGBTQ+ community.