Behind The Scenes of BBW

ASB (Arroyo Student Body) faces new challenges with the BBW (Blue Black and White) assembly. BBW is an annual Arroyo tradition that ASB is in charge of. Students are encouraged to show their Knight pride by dressing in columbian blue, black, and white. This assembly has teacher led performances, music, and games.

Through the efforts of ABS posters and decorations are placed all around Arroyo and the football field. BBW is one of the biggest assemblies and ASB plays a major role in making this assembly possible each year. This year’s BBW proved to be a challenge behind the scenes due to Covid regulations.

ASB had a lot of decorating to do for BBW. Stephanie Sam (12) is the commissioner of environmental awareness for ASB. She says that ASB was responsible for “…creating so many posters [and] setting up the day of the assembly.” 

In order to make sure everyone in ASB carried their workload, Andrea Garzon (12) the corresponding secretary in ASB kept track of everything. According to Andrea, her role consisted of“…contributing to painting and the preparation of the assembly…I helped keep track of the work hours for this event that members were contributing.” 

However, preparation needed to start before school even started. Andrea revealed that, “[ASB] started preparing for BBW since [the] summer, before school started. We worked on the large banners and activities.” 

Key Club ended up involved with helping with BBW. Kayla Liu (12) is the Key Club president. She explained that “We don’t usually help with BBW. One of our Key officers, Jenibelle, is the ASB president this semester so she asked Key to help out with the assembly. It was our first welcome back assembly and there were many complications…so the extra hands were welcomed!” 

Key Club was in charge of the freshman class. Kayla described, “Key Club specifically was in charge of setting up and decorating the freshman section of the bleachers to make them feel welcomed because it is their first one.” 

Even on the day of the assembly, ASB still had their work cut out. Andrea explained that, “On the day of [BBW], ASB was required to be at school at 6:30 AM in order to set up for the event…The day before, ASB stayed until 7:00 PM after school in order to have preparations ready.” 

All the preparations for BBW needed to be set up and this proved to be a challenge. Stephanie admits that, “Even though we prepped a lot, it was still stressful. I woke up early, set up, painted, attended the assembly, cleaned up, and skipped class.” 

Key Club was also very busy on the day of the assembly. Kayla disclosed, “We just handled hanging up the large posters, blowing up balloons, streamers, decorating and bringing out stuff to the field. We helped out in general as well with anything ASB might have needed from us.” 

BBW was very labor intensive and ASB members had to stay dedicated. Andrea says that, “Like any other assembly the preparation was stressful, in order to have everything ready for the day of and then carry out the actual event, many of us worked over 40 hours individually on the event.” 

Stephanie shares the same sentiment. She says, “It was a lot of work. [I was] very exhausted by the end of it.” 

All their hard work paid off, however, and many enjoyed the assembly. Kayal states, “BBW was chaotic, but yes I would say I enjoyed it for the most part. Mostly just being able to experience something like this in person with my friends for the last time as seniors, and to enjoy our time tougher and watch it unfold and take pictures to commemorate the moments!” 

Stephanie, despite her exhaustion, also enjoyed the assembly, “I wanted to go home and sleep but I got to hang out with my friends…I laughed a lot during the assembly.” 

Andrea was quite satisfied with how BBW turned out. She says, “What I enjoyed most about BBW is watching the event carry on and see all our efforts being enjoyed by the school.”