Knights Banner

The student news site of Arroyo High School

Knights Banner

Knights Banner

Boys varsity tennis team Clifton Nghiem(12), Axcel Garcia(12), Chris Tu(12), Jacky Hu(12), and Nathan Phu(10) playing the hula-hoop game.
Spring Sports Rally
April 10, 2024
Prom Fashion Show
March 20, 2024

College Night with Our Knights

Students of the El Monte Union High School District excitedly piled into Rosemead High School to attend El Monte Union High School District’s College Night as they gathered their questions and ideas about their future careers post high school.

Students from all over the district attended College Night to further their knowledge about the opportunities they are able to choose from such as 4-year colleges, community colleges, military, and work. We were able to ask a few students what they thought about this year’s College Night. 

“I really enjoyed College Night because I was able to learn more about what my major will entail at different colleges such as CSUs and UCs,” said Krystal Henriquez, senior. Krystal plans to major in Psychology specifically to become a therapist or counselor for people who struggle mentally and emotionally. 

After being asked if any of the college stations located at College Night positively affected her future plans, she stated, “Yes, they helped me learn that attending a UC versus a Cal State would be different focuses.” She explained how universities are more research based while Cal States are more hands on meaning the path that she prefers to follow will be benefited more through a Cal State.

“I attended College Night because I’m interested in pursuing a career that I have aimed towards for a while now. I was able to learn several different aspects of being accepted into different colleges such as Universities and Cal States,” explained Eduardo Morales, junior. 

Eduardo elaborated on even though he is a junior in high school, he felt the need to get more information and take advantage of the opportunities provided by the district at this College Night. He visited several college stations and was able to obtain a better feel on what he needs to do during the most rigorous and important year in high school. 

“I know what I need to do after attending College Night. It’s important to stay involved in extracurricular activities such as clubs and sports as well as keeping my grades up.” Eduardo feels much more confident and comfortable with the idea of college now and understands the responsibilities that will come with it.

“The stations provided a lot of information for me…the college that stuck out to me is UCLA because it’s one of my top schools,” stated Emma Olivas, senior. Emma attended College Night with the intentions of learning more about the 9 different UC’s and private schools that she plans to apply to. 

Emma will apply to college as an art major. She has chosen art because it is something she has grown to love and be passionate about. Emma implied that many of the college stations were a bit crowded but she was able to visit those with impressive art programs that she is interested in. 

Arroyo High School’s Career Guidance Coordinator, George Reyes also took the time to speak with us and answer a few questions about the preparation and his inspirations that go into creating a successful College Night. 

“There are technical things that you have to secure at the district levels like reserving location, making sure that we save the day with the colleges…Usually in May of the previous academic year,” explained Mr. Reyes. Yearly, the district is able to collaborate between each other and create a successful night for students.

The main difference when comparing last year’s and this year’s College Night was the location. Reyes explained that there are yearly rotations between the high schools in the district. “Last year it was at Mountain View, this year it was at Rosemead, and next year it will most likely be held here at Arroyo,” stated Mr. Reyes.

“Students gain exposure to training options, educational options, so they can continue their post secondary journey meaning after high school,” stated Reyes as he asked what the purpose of College Night truly means to him. He expressed how Arroyo Career Center’s goals are to let students know that there are choices and paths to choose from so they are able to become successful post high school.