Knights Banner

The student news site of Arroyo High School

Knights Banner

Knights Banner

Boys varsity tennis team Clifton Nghiem(12), Axcel Garcia(12), Chris Tu(12), Jacky Hu(12), and Nathan Phu(10) playing the hula-hoop game.
Spring Sports Rally
April 10, 2024
Prom Fashion Show
March 20, 2024

A new leader for our Knights

Mr. Buono showing our school spirit in his Arroyo crew neck!

Mr. Brendan Buono is the new Director of Student Affairs for Arroyo. This is Mr. Buono’s first year taking on this new role and he looks forward to this new and exciting chapter as a Knight.

Mr. Buono transferred from Rosemead High School to Arroyo. As Mr. Buono leaves behind his 18 years of teaching at Rosemead, he steps onto Arroyo grounds hoping to further improve our campus culture and community as Director of Student Affairs. “Campus culture is very important, a strong positive campus makes people want to be here.” 

Through regular participation in activities and social gatherings, it is very important for students to feel like they are in a safe environment. “Think about it, if it’s a boring culture then no one wants to participate,” says Mr.Buono. Trying to make a safe place for students to be themselves is the number one goal. 

Establishing goals is crucial for staying motivated and assessing progress throughout the school year. “My goals are to first learn the culture of the school, learn what the students like, learn what the staff likes, how things have been functioning, and then try to increase participation,” Mr.Buono explains. Creating a positive environment is extremely important in order for students to be successful. “I want to boost school spirit and create a more positive culture than what is already here. I just want to add on to what all the positive stuff is here and create more.” 

Mr. Buono has established experience being a government teacher, and advisor for the class of 2026 at Rosemead. Along with Mr. Buono’s work experience in the El Monte Union High School District, he is a veteran of the U.S. Army, and is an alumni of Citrus College, University of La Verne, and  Point Loma Nazarene University. 

ASB members are slowly but surely getting to know Mr. Buono. Krissia Valle, President, and senior talks briefly about how ASB’s future looks bright, “I think he will do a good job, we had our first meeting today and he looked like he knew what he was going to do… I think it looks very bright [the future of ASB].  When I graduate I’m not afraid that ASB will go downhill, I think it’s going to be more successful. From the fact that he has already been planning [upcoming events] and he’s new to this position, I think it is going to be good, I do think so.” 

Other members agree that ASB will persist and achieve great success, “Mr. B will lead ASB very strongly, and he will impact us in significant ways. I hope that other staff members here in Arroyo can also see him and do the same thing,” Alexandra Torres, senior, Head of Properties said. 

“I’m confident that Mr. Buono will improve school culture, and overall contribute to making Arroyo a better place.” Samantha Gutierrez, senior, Commissioner of Properties said.