Knights Banner

The student news site of Arroyo High School

Knights Banner

Knights Banner

Boys varsity tennis team Clifton Nghiem(12), Axcel Garcia(12), Chris Tu(12), Jacky Hu(12), and Nathan Phu(10) playing the hula-hoop game.
Spring Sports Rally
April 10, 2024
Prom Fashion Show
March 20, 2024

Women’s History Month

National Women’s History Month takes place in March every year. As this month unfolds, we celebrate women who advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusion. Women’s History Month  embraces freedom and opportunities for all women. 

Women’s history is full of strong fighters for equality in the United States of America. Many countries around the world celebrate the holiday with demonstrations, educational initiatives and customs such as presenting women with gifts and flowers. International Women’s Day, a global celebration of the economic, political and social achievements of women, took place for the first time on March 8, 1911. 

Ms. Yen Ngo, Freshman English teacher, celebrates women’s history month.  

“Women’s History Month honors the achievements of women in American society,” said Ms. Ngo.

Throughout our history, women made many contributions in American history. 

“In general, the most influential women to me are those mothers/wives in wartime who endure the pain of losing sons and/or husbands in war and raising their families alone; I grew up in Vietnam and had family members and relatives who were those women. In particular, I was greatly impressed and admired the Polish-French Marie Curie’s mental strength when her husband Pierre Curie died in an accident, two days after his death, she went back to teaching as normal,” said Ms. Ngo.

Ms. Ngo appreciates strong women who have gone through many hardships and miserable losses. When asked if women have equal rights to men today.

“Theoretically, yes.  However, this may not be the reality in some workplaces and households and in women of certain ethnic backgrounds,” said Ms. Ngo

Cierra Schiava, senior, speaks on what women’s history means to her.

“Women’s History Month stands for all women that put in the hard work into the world that needs to be appreciated, their hard work ethic, strength, and drive to accomplish everything they want to represent,” said Schiava.

“The most influential woman I know is my mom, no matter what happens in the world she is always making sacrifices not only for me but for her family, making sure we have everything we need before she does anything for herself. I love and appraise my mom so much,” said Schiava.

Her mother made many sacrifices and is a strong, beautiful woman that Schiava loves and appreciates. Schiava said, “Personally, I don’t think women have as equal rights as men. Yes, women are showing that we women are stronger than men, constantly being compared to a man is one of the hardest things to hear. Showing our work ethic and stamina, we prove that we deserve to be treated equal to men.”

“There needs to be a month that honors women because we are always underestimated and compared to men. Women work hard every day and night to be the best they can absolutely be, sacrificing their lives, needs, and wants for their loved ones. Taking care of children, family members, and those who are in need has to be shared and expressed. Women support women no matter what comes in life,” said Schiava.