Boys Varsity Basketball – Martin Rivera

Varsity shooting guard, Martin Rivera (#5), passionately reflects on his season this year.

Stephanie Li, Staff Writer

What position do you play?

Currently, I am shooting guard or sometimes point guard. My job is to play in the wing. The point guard takes the ball up and he basically leads the play. It’s a very important task on the team.

How was the season overall?
The season was very difficult this year, but the good thing is that as a team, we’re growing every single day. We manage to improve as individuals but also as a group.

Now that you’re a senior, what can you take from being in basketball for so many years?

Basketball has helped me grow not only as a leader but also as a person who has confidence in himself. I learned to be very social and my leadership skills have increased my leadership skills. I am more confident in basketball and in everything I do because of my experience.

How long have you been in basketball for?

Since freshmen year

During the game against Rosemead, Rivera (#5) defends his surroundings

What inspired you to be in basketball?

My friends and the people around me encouraged me to join. They told me I could do a lot with my speed and my skills . So I tried out and I started loving the sport the moment I entered the court. The people and the environment are what I love.

What was your greatest challenge?

It would be to try to catch up and develop skills quick. It took me a while and there were times where I felt that I wasn’t able to do things other players were able to do, but I developed a great shot and my confidence has increased. The best part is that my teammates never gave up on me, so that’s something I really admire about the sport.

What do you love most about your team?

It’s the fact that although it’s tough to go to practice every day, we push each other to get better. Sometimes when we realize something is wrong with one another, we try to boost up our moral. That is something that has improved throughout the year. I hope that the future of the team will be able to maintain that ability and help incoming players of next year to feel comfortable and that they can improve on their players.

What are your thoughts on your coach?

I am very proud to be in a team under the coaching of Coach Lopez.  He’s helped me develop my skills very well. I know there were times where I felt like I wasn’t able to do things but he pushed me and the team to become better players. He’s a great person to talk to. It’s great to know that you have a coach that really loves the sport and the team. It’s good to know that we have a coach who will always be there for us, no matter what.

What’s your best memory of basketball?

I think the bonding in our team was the best memory. Win,lose, or draw, we’re always there together in the end and we don’t give up on each other.

What kind of warm-ups do you do before a game?

We stretch out, get loose, and do lay-up drills, where we split up to the left and right. Then we do jump shots, two on each side and then under-the-baskets, which basically helps us get the ball from the block. The main point about warm up is to help us adjust to the court, whether it’s home or away.

Are there any pre-game rituals?

Before the game, we usually come together in prayer and we’re very close as a team.

How do you guys celebrate a win?

It’s very hype. Oh my gosh, it’s always very hype in the bus, wherever we go. We feel accomplished about what we do on the court that day and as a team it’s nice to know that we bring the win home.

Are practices any harder after a loss?

Practices are a bit more serious. There’s always something we can fix. You want to improve so you don’t make the same mistakes. They are a bit more intense.

Do you plan to play basketball in the future?

I plan to become an engineer so athletics will not become my priority in college but I do plan to practice and play as much as I can, just not professionally.