JV Boys Basketball – Ryan Shum

JV point guard, Ryan Shum (#13), excitedly recounts his season this year.

Stephanie Li, Staff Writer

What position do you play? 

I play point guard, which is basically the role of the playmaker and the one who runs the offense. I like playing point guard because I’m able to move the ball around and there are many opportunities to score.

How do you think the season went overall?

Overall, it’s been great.  It feels great to be 12-0 in league. We get a little too confident sometimes though. If we weren’t, we could have beaten the teams with more points.

What inspired you to be in basketball?

My brother, who graduated, played sports in high school and is my inspiration. He was in varsity football his freshman and sophomore year. He also played basketball in varsity in the summer.

Shum (#13) handles the ball on offense, ready for the next play.

What’s your best memory in season?

Running is probably the best memory in season because we would always connect and bond more as a team.

What kind of warm-ups do you guys do before a game?

We do the usual lay-ups, under-the-baskets, and free throws to prepare for a game.

Do you have any pre-game rituals?

We’re very traditional. We do the “Knights on 3!” chant right before a game.

How long have you played and what are you looking forward to next year?

I’ve play basketball since I was in 8th grade. I’m excited to hopefully play on varsity next year. We’re a solid team and I believe we’ll have a better advantage next year when we move up.

How does your team celebrate a win?

It depends. If we know we could have scored more points, we don’t really celebrate. We just discuss what we can do to improve in the next game, but if we do what we’re supposed to do, we get a round of applause and praise from our coach.

What are your thoughts on your coach?

Coach Torez is really cool and chill. He’ll make sure to give us the best advice and he’s really funny. He likes to play around with us, but also makes sure to make us run when we aren’t focused.

What was your team’s hardest challenge this season?

Maintaining our behaviors and tempers were one of our toughest challenges because every game gets intense. Sometimes, we also lacked effort because sometimes our confidence got in the way and we would think that it would be easy to beat the other team, but that wasn’t the case.

What are your thoughts on your team?

They’re great. Although we argue and let it get to the best of us at times, I love the chemistry that we built. We always forget about the negatives and just move on to focus on what matters more.