La La Lan-Moonlight!

The Academy Award was held on February 26th bringing out Hollywood's biggest film stars.

Amanda Medina, Staff Writer

The 2017 Oscars was a roller coaster of emotions for me when I tuned in.  It seemed every time my favorite movie of this year, director, actress, or actor won I’d be jumping off my couch because of the excitement I could not contain. Finally, all the great films of the year were getting the recognition they deserved.

The movie that seemed to get the most attention and awards this year was the film La La Land directed by Damien Chazelle. It was nominated for over 14 awards and won 12 overall Oscars which is recording-breaking. Some of the awards they won were Emma Stone for Best Actress, Damien Chazelle for Best Director, and Justin Hurwitz for Best Original Music Score. In my opinion, I believe this film met up to its expectations with such an amazing story line, music, and actors/actresses.

Another talked about film was Moonlight directed by Barry Jenkins, which was nominated for over 8 Oscars, and won 3. The three awards they received was Best Picture, Best Writing Adapted Screenplay, and Mahershala Ali as Best Supporting Actor. However, after seeing the cinematography of this film I was astonished. As much as I liked La La Land’s cinematography, I believed Moonlight deserved to take home the award for this category. Even though I had never heard about this film before watching the Oscars, seeing all their wins and how highly talked about it intrigued me. After watching the trailer, the plot caught my attention and will be on my movies to watch list.

What had to be the most shocking moment of the entire event was when La La Land was accidentally awarded Best Picture when Moonlight was the actual winner. It was very embarrassing and hard to watch. However, at the end of the day, both films were a success.