Expecting changes in the new year

The latest change in the bell schedule will help students in a number of ways.

Hailey Juarez, Staff Writer

Hoping to integrate opportunities for students to improve their studies or be rewarded for excelling in their academics, teachers have been debating whether to change the current bell system for next year.

The new schedule would include a “study hall” type period in which struggling students would attend classes to aid their education. Meanwhile, students who earned a high enough GPA would have an extended lunch.

Many students like the idea of a new schedule because of the several perks. However, many students are not siding with it because they think it has many downfalls.

“I’m worried about the schedule because I want to have a longer lunch with my friends but I also want to have regular late starts each month,” commented Susie Dominguez, 10.

The new schedule will have shorter times in classes and the same 6 minute passing period. After 4th, some students will report to their designated study hall which will be in a classroom or the library. After lunch, class will resume as normal. The time students end their days will remain the same at 2:50, and the nutritional break after 2nd period will stay as well.

Students who are required to take study hall will be students who have any D’s or F’s, or lower than a 3.0 GPA. Freshmen will not have the extended lunch option.

The students in study hall will be in the class for about 20 minutes before going to lunch and joining the other students.

Those that are not a freshmen, have a 3.0 or higher GPA, and no D’s or F’s by the end of the semester will get to fully enjoy the longer lunch period instead. During this time students can take their time eating or serve detention hours. Students can even attend study hall classes if they wish to learn more or simply get bored of being out of class for so long.

The biggest concern students had as they waited for their teachers to make a decision was the removal of late starts if the new schedule was passed. There would be a possibility of one late start throughout the year, but overall, students would start school at the same time every day.

“I just want what’s the best for my students” said Spanish teacher, Ms. Magana. Magana was one of several teachers who directly discussed the decision with her students, listening to their views before casting her vote.

Moments before the start Spring Break, the results were finally tallied and announced. 78% of teachers sided with the new schedule, officially changing the current one.

The new schedule will be effective at the beginning of the upcoming school year.