Knights Banner

The student news site of Arroyo High School

Knights Banner

Knights Banner

Boys varsity tennis team Clifton Nghiem(12), Axcel Garcia(12), Chris Tu(12), Jacky Hu(12), and Nathan Phu(10) playing the hula-hoop game.
Spring Sports Rally
April 10, 2024
Prom Fashion Show
March 20, 2024

Serving Into the New Tennis Season

As the season transitions from winter to spring, Arroyo Boys Tennis have been working hard leading up to the start of their season to get ready to dominate with Coach Anthony Lim on the side assisting the players to success. 

“As a coach, my position is to help guide each and every individual to become the best version of themselves. I am to provide them with the tool for them to have a successful season,” said Coach Lim, Boys and Girls Varsity Tennis coach. 

Coach Lim reminds his players that, “We stayed focused on each obstacle that approached us this season. Don’t get complacent and be disciplined all season. If we are to do that, we will have a bright next few months,”

As their 2024 season has begun, the team has lots of goals to hopefully complete by the end of their season since most of the team consist of seniors. Three year varsity player and senior Andrew Do has stated that his goal is, “to play my best tennis ever and to have the most fun imaginable with my team”. 

Another senior and two year member Chris Tu said his goals were, “for this season is to play my best tennis ever and to have the most fun imaginable with my team. I hope to make a deep playoff run this season and end off my senior year with a bang. For myself however, I just want to get better. Better serve, better groundstrokes, better everything.”

The team learned a lot from their first pre-season game and want to implement some skills like how Andrew noted that he “wants to incorporate more confidence and free spirit into my game”. Chris said from his first he “learned that I have a lot to work on and that I need to get more used to the pressure. I have to put in more time and effort and ultimately obtain better teamwork skills.”

Tennis is a fun sport that is competitive that involves lots of teamwork, but through that process it’s enjoyable. “What I really enjoy about tennis is that you are the most important contributor to the match and that your victories and losses are your alone. This makes it really personal compared to other sports and really helped me focus on improving myself. My teammates are not only my friends and family, but they are my biggest rivals. Nobody likes falling behind, and because of the we have all pushed each other improve over the years and I am so grateful for my team for being the ones I complete with”, said Andrew