Knights Banner

The student news site of Arroyo High School

Knights Banner

Knights Banner

Sprinting Towards Victory

Track and field captain junior Eduardo Morales racing his heart out at a league race.

The end of the year is approaching and so is the wrap-up for each spring sport. After a long and dedicated season, Arroyo’s track and field athletes earned their spots as the 2024 League champions for both boys and girls and a trip to CIF. 

This year much progress was made by our track team. The hard work and determination to get a new PR motivated many of Arroyo’s track athletes to improve. “I love track, I feel like it is a different feeling from other sports because throughout the season you’re worried about your self-improvement. I was motivated by my teammates to do better because I wanted to score points,” said senior thrower Riot Flores. In the beginning, before the start of the season, tryouts were held which would determine whether or not you would be on the team. The answer was based on dedication, attendance, and improvement. “The runners were really good, they were working really hard, the distance runners put in a lot of miles and did a lot of good workouts, the sprinters were really conscientious this year and better than any that I can recall about coming to practice and consistently working really really hard,” said distance coach, Bryon Hake. After tryouts, the team that was formed was a bigger amount than last year’s team. This year they had around 135 students on the team. 

Unfortunately without the stadium, it’s been quite a difficult season for the track team. Even so, they still managed to do amazing things this year and continue to strive towards big accomplishments. “To have actual track time we had to go to Rosemead High School every Monday and Tuesday at 4 pm and getting home until 7:30 pm or later. On top of that, Thursdays went long because of meets, and then we would have a Saturday practice or Saturday meets that would last for a while. So the kids had to put a lot of time into the season this year.” said Coach Byron Hake. 

Although track athletes had to put the majority of their time into practice and race days, many managed to get through it. 

Arroyo boys and girls were undefeated in the Mission Valley League. In total, the track and field team won 6 races with 0 losses. “Biggest accomplishment was that our boys were league champions. Before our meet against Gabrielino, they were expected to beat us by 17 points but we ended up beating them by 7ish points. Our girls had their biggest challenge against Rosemead, it was really close. It could have been anyone’s day but our athletes performed to their best in all the events we put them in. Being league champs for boys and girls is quite an accomplishment.” said Coach Hake.  The track team’s hard work and dedication this season paid off as both boys and girls won the title of Mission  League Champions. This season shows the incredible talent and unwavering spirit athletes have shown. 

Each event in track and field has succeeded and progressed within their own team. There’s long distance, sprints, jumps, hurdles, and throws. 

Sprinters were undefeated this season with faster running times and many accomplishments. Sprinters secure their spot in CIF. “My accomplishment was that our 4×1 team was undefeated, and we made it to CIF.” said senior Gabbriella Delgado.  

Long jump athlete Vince Segovia’s hard work pays off this track season showing remarkable results. Vince secures 3 CIF events with his dedication. “In the beginning of the season my goal was to make it to CIF again and I was able to accomplish that this year with 3 CIF events.” said junior Vince Segovia. 

Hurdles athlete, Hailey Pham shares her pride and reflects on the team and performance this year. Another track and field athlete showing talent and perseverance. “I think our team this year was the best I’ve ever had… My accomplishments this year was getting two medals at League Finals and competing in the 1600 for the first time and medaling first place for it at the Meet of Champions.” said senior Hailey Pham. 

In the discus/shotput events, Riot Flores elaborates on his season reflecting on his improvements compared to last year. “This year I was fortunate enough to throw discus 40 feet farther than last year and shotput a whole 16 feet farther…I thought my team was great they were energetic and always strived to be better, especially the throwers.The people I worked close with were always finding different ways to improve.” said senior Riot Flores. 

Sophmore Jamy

As the spring 2024 track and field season came to an end, athletes showed great talent, perseverance, and determination to strive toward victory. “I would definitely recommend this sport to people who like to win and push themselves past their limits. Track is both an individual and team sport and everyone on this team helps each other out. Even though it’s mentally or physically exhausting sometimes, every single achievement you make in track pushes you through” said Haley Pham.

View Comments (1)