Ms. Toscano

Arroyo welcomes new Special Ed teacher, Ms. Toscano

Ms. Toscano

Robert Delgado, Staff Writer

Where are you from?

I am from El Monte. I grew up in El Monte, and I still live in El Monte.

How long have you been teaching?

This is my first full year teaching. I was a substitute teacher for about three years and before that I was a teacher aid for about seven years at Mountain View High School and Frank Wright Elementary.

What high school and college did you go to?

I came to Arroyo High School, graduating in the year 2000. Then I went to Citrus College and after I graduated, I transferred to Cal State Fullerton.

How do you like Arroyo?

I love Arroyo. I’ve always loved Arroyo because this is where I grew up, so I’m very happy and feel fortunate to be here.

Why did  you choose what you teach?

I was a therapist before this, so I have experience working with kids with autism, so it was right for me because I have all this experience for working with Special Ed children. When I was at Mountain View High School I worked in the Special Ed department and then I was a therapist for two years helping kids and families, kids with autism and families that have children with autism.

What kind of music do you like?

My playlist is all over the place. I have everything from Mana, Vicente Fernandez, to Drake, to Tupac, to Red Hot Chili Peppers, I mean it’s really all over the place… Britney Spears also.

What was your least favorite subject in high school?

Math, that’s easy.

What was your best high school memory?

Being in Journalism. I was in Journalism for three years and then also being in Yearbook. I was in Yearbook my senior year and it was a very good experience. I loved going out to the events and interviewing people and taking pictures and just having my name in the newspaper, the Knights Banner. I was proud of that.

What would you be doing if you were not teaching?

Probably a nutritionist. I love reading about nutrition, it’s probably my other hobby. I love talking about nutrition and healthy stuff.

What are you involved with outside of school?

Well I go to school still so I don’t really have time to do anything else. I love going to baseball games a lot. The Dodgers, I love the Dodgers. I go to school two times a week from five to eight and then I have work. I have a lot of homework and then lesson planning to do so I don’t really have much time to do anything else, but I do love to travel. I love traveling. I’ve been to Europe, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Hawaii. I’ve been to many places.