Balling their way to the new season

Arroyo’s Girls Basketball has started their season with wins and losses to their name.

Hailey Juarez, Staff Writer

With several games under their belt, The girls basketball  program is confident that they will be a contender for the Mission Valley League title.

The girls do not just have big goals but they also have individual goals as well.  

Angie Gonzalez, 11, varsity basketball player has been playing since she was a Freshman comments on this years upcoming season, “My goal this season is to achieve and play better as a team and to just have fun.”

Most people think basketball is easy and just all fun and games, but that is not the case for the girls who put their heart into the sport and give it all they got.

“I was inspired to play basketball because my dad played since he was five all the way to college, and it showed me how determined someone can be about a sport. Now I just try my hardest to achieve that,” said Gonzalez.

The team puts in a lot of work together. Many of the girls know that you need to stick together to be able to play a great and exciting game.

“Basketball requires a lot of teamwork and knowing your teammates will have your back on the court and frequently doing work to get better,” expressed Gonzalez.

Before the intense games, some girls like to do some sort of ritual before heading out to the court and just giving it all they got no matter the outcome of losing or winning.

“I like to sit down for 10 minutes by myself to listen to music and then sit with the team before we go in,” said Gonzalez.

As hard as the team works, there is always perks of being on a team. Memories and friendships start to form and that is what makes working your hardest all worth it.

“The best part is when we score and all look at each other and are just having fun. I am happy how the season is going, but I know we can do better in the second round,” said Gonzalez.