Abraham Rincon

Former Arroyo alumnus has been given the opportunity to assist Mr.Terry Colvin in the Speech and Debate Program.

Stephanie Li, Staff Writer

After competing in Arroyo’s Speech and Debate Program in high school, former alumnus, Abraham Rincon, was hired as an assistant speech coach this year.

Last year, Rincon worked as the director and head speech coach of the Autonomy Debate School, which is located in the city of San Marino and Alhambra. Working with middle school and elementary students has taught Rincon more about his own skills in teaching than he had anticipated.
Rincon was one of three coaches who coached the 2016 3rd Place Nationally Middle School Policy team. As a role model, he believed his job was to show students that they have the potential to succeed. Knowing that his advice made a difference, he kept the idea of teaching in his mind. After seeing his influence positively impact his students, Rincon was heavily considering teaching in the near future. Carrying out his role as an assistant coach was his first step in understanding how to work with students.

“I want to change the world around me, so I’ve got to teach,” said Rincon.
He returned to Arroyo to assist Mr. Terry Colvin, the head coach of Arroyo’s Speech and Debate Program, hoping to help him with the new positions needed. In high school, Rincon and Colvin shared a student-mentor relationship, but he now considers Colvin more than a coach.
“We’re like BFFs,” Rincon chuckled, “We’re pretty close and transparent with each other and work really well together.”

When asked about his position, Rincon passionately responded, “It’s a great position. It has allowed me to have an impact on my community and give back to the programs that have shaped who I am today.”

Rincon believes his only difficulty as an assistant speech coach is to gain the respect of students because a large majority were students he once competed with. Progress is looking brighter than ever as students adjust to his new presence and as they start to take his advice.

Rincon plans to earn a bachelor’s degree in secondary education at East Los Angeles College and is contemplating studying law after he dedicates some time to teaching students. He will be coaching full time this year while balancing his focus on his studies.