Knights Banner

The student news site of Arroyo High School

Knights Banner

Knights Banner

Boys varsity tennis team Clifton Nghiem(12), Axcel Garcia(12), Chris Tu(12), Jacky Hu(12), and Nathan Phu(10) playing the hula-hoop game.
Spring Sports Rally
April 10, 2024
Prom Fashion Show
March 20, 2024

Spring Sports Rally

Spring sports athletes participated in the Spring Sports Rally that was organized by ASB. Team captains were able to share with the audience their team’s goals, successes, and hard work. Athletes got to participate in competitions and games against the other spring sports teams in Rally Square on March 22.

ASB organized the games, set up balloons and posters, and announced on the mic during the event. Krissia Valle, ASB President, was on the microphone leading the rally along, instructing the games, and trying to get the audience excited about the games and cheer performance.

Softball vs. Track cup game.

“I really did enjoy the rally because a lot of the ASB members put in a lot of work putting up the balloons and decorations,” said Haley Pham, a varsity track member and Girls Athletic Commissioner.

The team captains from softball, boys tennis, and track and field stood on stage to briefly talk about their respective teams throughout the rally. They talked about the hard work they put forth each day in practice and in their games or matches. They have hopes that more and more people will come to watch them perform in their games, meets, and matches, to show support for them and their program.

“I’ve always been into sports, it keeps me busy. I love enjoying it with my friends; I make new friends playing softball. I get to explore, have adventures, and it gets me out of a bad mindset. I think more people will come out to support softball [after the rally] because it is a home game,” said Melanie Borgen, sophomore and captain of the varsity softball team.

Then, the varsity cheer squad came center stage to perform a routine to the song California Girls by Katy Perry. The cheer squad has been very successful this year, they have competed and won many cheer competitions and have traveled as far as Las Vegas to compete.

“Since we only had two practices to learn the routine, it was definitely not easy to remember all the motions and to perform in front of everyone, so I was a bit anxious,” said Katrina Miao, a senior and a member of the Varsity cheer squad.

Girls softball and boys track and field faced off afterwards in the “cup game”, players would have to listen and perform commands before being allowed to grab a red cup between them and their competitor. Krissia Valle, senior, was on the microphone saying all the commands. She had the athletes do various tasks like spinning, jumping, push ups, and touching the flagpole and coming back before grabbing the cup.

“I played the cup game, it was fun because I won. I got to play with my favorite team mates which was very fun,” said Melanie Borgen.

“I enjoyed the cup game because it was a tense game and fun to watch,” said Katrina Miao. 

The second game of the rally was the hula hoop game. Girls track and field faced off against boys tennis. All the players had to hold hands in a line and get a hula hoop from one end of the line to the other. They had to pass the hoop to the next person without letting go hands by going through the middle of the hoop. Both teams were fast but the girls team was faster because they had a smart and unique approach. They were able to win by having one person hold the hula hoop still for all the other members to pass through the middle.

“I look forward to this event each year because I get to go up against other teams,” said Haley Pham. 

Athletes look forward to the sports rallys because they get to make memories with their teammates, have fun during the games, and get to be recognized for their hard work all season. People in the audience also get excited for the games and root on the competitors.

“I feel like the event was pretty fun because the school spirit was fun and the people talking [on the microphone] were funny,” said Jiling Chen, a senior and a member of the JV track team.