Blue, Black, and White Makes Us U.N.I.T.E.

The annual Blue, Black, and White assembly continued the tradition of bringing students together with class competitions and exciting performances.

At the start of this school year, students got excited and dressed up for the annual Blue, Black and White assembly. This event took place in order to welcome old and new students, introduce fall, winter, and spring sports and kick off the school year.

Before the tardy bell for zero period was even close to being rung, ASB members and volunteers gathered in the barely warm Round Table room to discuss preparation. Teams were formed to cover balloons, streamers, chairs, technology, and every last detail of the assembly. As first period approached, students scrambled to tape down class banners and test the new sound system in B. L. Bergstrom Stadium, courtesy of the graduating class of 2016.

When the clock struck nine, an army of blue-haired-glitter-and-paint-faced-cape-and-tutu-wearing students flooded the stadium. Silver number balloons declaring each of the classes’ graduating years floated at the top of the bleachers. The pounding of footsteps echoed in the air as students made their way to their respective sections. Notes of “Sorry” by Justin Bieber filled ears thanks to the band.

Principal Ms. Angelita Gonzalez reminds students to have fun at the "best high school in the world".
Principal Ms. Angelita Gonzalez reminds students to have fun at the “best high school in the world”.

Once everything was settled, a spirited commissioner of assemblies, Karla Orozco, welcomed all and got everyone cheering for their class. Principal, Angelita Gonzales, took the microphone next to remind students that Arroyo is the “best high school in the world” and to enjoy the upcoming school year.

Band followed the inspiring speech with a preview of this year’s field show titled “Legend”. The crowd sat in awe as experienced and new band members played a flawless piece.

Section leader, Carol Luong,12, leads the front ensemble persuccion.
Section leader, Carol Luong,12, leads the front ensemble percussion.

The first of the games was next in the program. The relay consisted of a duo that had to walk with tied ankles, another who had to travel with a cup of beans on their shoe, an additional player who jumped in a sack, and one more who had to cross the finish line carrying an egg on a spoon. The first section seemed to be the easiest as the second group promptly spilled most of their beans. The real excitement happened as the senior and sophomore representatives edged toward the finish, with the underclassman barely ahead. As expected, however, the senior, Angel Diaz, managed to snatch up the victory.

At one point, Varsity football coach, Jim Singiser, introduced the captains of the fall sports, who thanked everyone for their support and hoped students would join the athletes at their next game or meet.

With the weather still warm, a watermelon eating contest seemed a fitting choice as the second game. Cheered on by his classmates, senior Robert La ate his way to victory.

After a few technical difficulties, cheer then pumped up the crowd with fresh choreography and successful stunts.

Cheer pumps up the crowd with an energetic and sassy performance.

Then came the anticipated moment for the teacher’s performance. Inspired by the recent 2016 summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, the teachers transformed into athletes from nearby schools and competed in several events. As Rosemead chickened out on the diving board, Mountain View was eaten alive by a shark in the pool, and El Monte stumbled through the hurdles, it was clear that the gold could only be awarded to the almighty Knights.

Arroyo teachers transform into high school students from around the district to compete in Olympic events.

At this point, the assembly winded down with a few final cheers and the underclassmen were dismissed. For the seniors though there was one more tradition to be carried out. It is customary for seniors to take a final lap around the track for their “Senior Run”.

A group photo was taken afterwards as it finally dawned on many students that this will be their final year at Arroyo.

ASB also debuted their motto for the year: Blue, black, and white makes us U(nique). N(oble). I(ntegrity). T(hrive). E(mpower).

Photos by Yearbook Productions.